Sunday, March 25, 2012

Shiny happy people holding hands

I think I need a vacation and I am not saying that because I have four kids and homeschool. I am saying that because sometimes this world gets just too intense for my tender sensibilities. I do my best to live inside a well constructed bubble of denial, but sometimes life creeps in and it pops. And this irritates me. I work really hard to be unaware.

There are lots of people who would like me to be more in tune with reality. I would like those people to shut up, bless their hearts. They are just making more work for me in the end. Their efforts are in vain. I just don't like where this rock is headed figuratively speaking. It bothers me.

Now my rooted in the "real world" friends think I am doing myself a huge disservice by filtering and blocking things out. They think I should toughen up and stop being such a big baby. That's me apparently, a big ol thumb sucking baby. But I think that there are benefits to living in my bubble of denial. There are benefits to remaining a softy. After all, there aren't that many of us left.

Numero uno. I can sleep at night. I am usually blissfully unaware that the government is trying to control me through my dishwasher or that some other country is building a bomb to obliterate and my entire city.

B. I have so much more free time to pin things on pinterest or to write these deep profound blogs of mine since I am not listening to Glen Beck or watching CNN. I have time to perfect my brownie recipe and contemplate cloth diapers. In my mind I am somewhere circa 1950 except for the whole cold war thingy.

359. It is easier for me to focus the few things in this world that are good. I am a hopeless optimist and whether you like it or not YOU need me. I have a firm grip on sugar and spice and everything nice. So just when you think everything is in the toilet here I am with a little sunshine to throw your way. I am here for YOU. Its just me and Jesse Jackson keepin hope alive.

So just quit it already. I know whats going on to a greater extent than I let show. Its a perfectly crafted carefully balanced way of maintaining my sanity. Oh and did I mention my husband is a cop. I don't even want to imagine the kind of mess I'd be if I just let my mind stay on that too long. So the rest of you can go on worrying and discussing amongst yourselves the various important and pressing issues of the day. I will make you some cookies to snack on while you debate. All I ask is that someone give he a heads up when the zombies are coming. Other than that lets keep it light. Like marshmallows. Mmmmm marshmallows.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh we are soooooooo much alike! God bless softies everywhere!

Now who wants a slice of cake?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Well you're not getting rid of me that easy. And bless my heart, I will not shut up. You need ME to slap sense into you once the zombies are at your door when the NW drops into the ocean after the great earthquake.

Christina said...

LOL yes, I do need you Lisel