Saturday, March 31, 2012

Baby food

While my dinner is bubbling away in the crock pot and my fireplace is drying from its first coat of primer I thought I would give you all a bit of a step by step. Instructions you know? For what?

Baby food.

I know you are thinking "don't they sell that at the store?" The answer is yes, yes they do. My question to you is this; have you ever tried it? Its gross. I know babies palates are different than ours, but I just couldn't do it. Now yes, in a bind I have used the organic baby food that comes in the pouches. I also tasted it, but it can get spendy. So here is how you make baby food. And don't tell me you don't have time. You actually do....if you want to. And if you don't its no big deal. You are still an awesome mom and I am not silently judging you

and your jarred food. Promise.

First you will need one of these bad boys. This is a steamer basket. You just put this in your pot with a bit of water then you can steam your veggies. You should cook them until they are really soft so they will be easier to puree.

Once your veggies are cooked then add them to your food processor or food mill and pulverize. You will want to keep the cooking liquid to thin the puree a bit. As your baby gets older you will use less water so the consistency will be a bit thicker. For a solids beginner I like to make it the consistency of apple sauce.

Once everything is to your liking you just spoon it into ice cube trays. You could always do the "plop" method also. Instead of the trays you just plop the puree onto a baking sheet and freeze. I just like the uniformity of the trays.




When the cubes or plops have frozen, you grab some freezer safe zippy bags and load them up. Make sure to label them. It can get confusing, especially when you are in a hurry and can't tell the difference between green beans and peas.

You can do this will most veggies. I don't recommend doing this with squash or potatoes. The best method I have found for squash is to half it and roast it in the oven with a bit of water in the pan. It kinda steams it. Then you just scoop it out. I am assuming everyone knows how to make mashed potatoes.

As baby gets older you can start mixing veggies with meat in the food processor and making cubes of meals. You can make anything you see in the store. You can also just blitz up whatever you and the rest of the family are having when baby is ready.
So there ya go. Its not hard or time consuming. I hope you give it a try.

No comments: