Saturday, February 25, 2012

The sound of music

Someone saved my life tonight. Hands down one of my most favorite songs. I could sing it everyday all day. What other song has a lyric like sugar bear? Yeah, its gonna be hard to top that one. Thats the kind of ballad I belt at home. Lots of Billy Joel, Sir Elton, and Chaka Khan. We'll just call my taste eclectic. I love music in almost every form. I was so exited when the new Foo Fighters album came out. The problem is I am a church singer. I always have been, but I don't listen to much church music.

It kinda ended up that way when churches started singing songs I didn't like. Now and then there will be a real gem and I will download it, but more often than not I just don't care for it. I could go on and on about Christian radio and how all the songs sound the same and the lyrics are oh so similar, but I won't. You probably already know that. What I really can't stand is when I go into a Christian bookstore and they have those recommendations. If you like Alanis Morissette then you will like Jennifer Knapp. What does that even mean? I don't like to think of Christian music as the generic soda of music.

I grew up listening to church music and Karen Clark and the rest of the Clark sisters will knock your socks off. There are some artists that I love, but they are few. I guess thats why I never honestly pursued a recording career. Oh I had the grand idea that I'd make a cd one day, but when push came to shove I wasn't making anything that I would want to listen to. I guess I am not song writer,

BUT I am a singer.

I love a good lyric that you can sink your teeth into. I love melodies you can weave around. I love creating harmonies and the occasional Mariah Carey run. Its thrilling to start at the top and let your voice fall through the notes until it hits the bottom. Its a race with yourself to see if you can get there even faster next time. I am a mother and a wife by choice, but I am a singer by birth.

So know that whenever I take the stage whether its at church or anywhere else I am a consummate professional. I take it ever so seriously every time. So this church singing thing isn't just for fun. Its a calling that I have had the privilege to follow in many churches. I want to do it right. I have pretty high standards for myself. I just hope I can meet them.

No comments: