Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The ride along


Not every department does ride alongs. I can fully understand why. You go along to observe real police work, but really you are just in the way. People ask a bajillion questions while the officer is trying to drive, use the computer and listen to the radio at the same time. That is how Dan says most people are on ride alongs, all chatty.


I, however, am not. I am a bundle of nerves.



I think if maybe I talk too much he will crash the car or miss something important on the radio. I am not chatty at all. If you know me in real life you would understand what a stark contrast that is to my personality in general.
I mean I blog for pete's sake. I have lots to say.

So I went on my ride along. It has been four years since my last one and I figured I was due. I, under no circumstance, enjoy riding along. It scares the poop outta me even if nothing happens. I kinda feel like its my wifely duty to every so often check in on Officer Dan and take a general interest in what he does all day. I want him to notice the nuances of my tater tot casserole. I guess the least I can do is put on a kevlar vest and jump in the car with him for a few hours.

This time was better. I went into the day with visions of my last ride along. Bloody faced Mexican men fighting over some girl.....who happened to be too young for either of them. Nonetheless they were fighting and on took off his belt and decided to us the metal end to tear up the other ones face. It was a bloody mess. I remember this from four years ago. I think I might have been traumatized, but Dan just wanted to know if I was hungry. I guess he was.



There was no blood this time. Just weirdness. We went to a call where this lady had decided to drop in and check on her home. She had been trying to sell it, so there it sat vacant. She lived a few hours north and since she was in the area she thought it would be good to go look around. It proved to be a great decision because her home had tenants. There were folks living in there. She called the cops. (enter Dan and I) Officer Dan and one of his coworkers started to unravel this long and complicated story.

The tenants said they were renting, they had a contract........with someone else who didn't own the home. If the rent on your house is dramatically below market value and you are not given a key then chances are you are being scammed. Tears ensued and eventually two arrests for trespassing.


Dan asked me if I wanted to go look in the shed. Of course I didn't want to look in the shed. What? Was there a dead body in there or something? It turned out to be a bed roll and some stuff. There was obviously a dude sleeping in there too. I had to laugh when Officer Dan asked the lady if she thought it was normal to sleep in a shed. " I don't sleep in a shed. Do you think its normal for someone to sleep in a shed?". She had no reply other than to ask if I could reach up her shirt and adjust her bra. It was pinching her and she couldn't get to it in the cuffs.




So I am done for the next 4-5 years. I will go out again then when I have completely forgotten what he does for a living. I am thankful that he does it though. Lord knows I don't want to.

No comments: