Saturday, December 11, 2010

Its all about the cookies

As much as I may try to avoid it, I fear I will or have already gained weight and its not even christmas. It happens quite subconsciously. I am compelled by something buried within the recesses of my soul to bake. I must bake cookies. I must. I don't know why. It could be because cookies are so dang tasty. That's probably it. All of this Christmas time shopping and busyness keeps me out of the gym. I really struggle to find the time. Then there are the cookies.

I am a year round baker and I think I do well enough to keep it under control. I give away half of what I make....... most of the time. The kids and the husband help too. Sometimes I send things to work with him. That is a sure fire way to get rid of any and every scratch of cookie in sight. They inhale them with such force there is a rip in the time space continuum.

The real problem is that I like the cookies. We are friends and the cookies are also friends with my fat. I guess that makes me and the fat kinda friendly. You know the whole if a=b=c.....remember?

Just me?

I guess I was the only one awake in high school.

Anywho, the cookies. I make sugar cookies, shortbread, peanut butter and then there is the week of chocolate.

For some reason in my family we just randomly grab stuff, dunk it in chocolate and then give it away in decorative tins. I never realized how weird it was until I recently had to explain my plans for chocolate week. We dunk pretzels, oreos, little peanut butter sandwiches we make with crackers. Nothing is off limits. We like white chocolate, milk chocolate, dark chocolate.... we do not discriminate. I guess its because none of us are notoriously good cooks. I keep hearing about the tasty Christmas snacks from the other side of the family, but I have never had any of them. What I have had is an amalgam of cracker like substances dunked in chocolate and sent via poinsettia tin to my current local, which for the past decade has pretty much spanned the globe.


But, I will carry on. I will ask my aunt for a recipe or two from the dark side. Maybe they will be new reasons for me to furiously work out until I drop on January 2nd. I sure hope so. We must keep the tradition of over indulgence and self loathing. It just wouldn't be Christmas without it.

1 comment:

Ericka said...

Funny... your compelled to bake and I am compelled to clean! I want to trade for a day!