Saturday, September 11, 2010

If at first you don't succeed......

I am currently waiting for A. My neighbor who I fear as overestimated the number of hours in a day. She may not darken my door this evening and B. The chicken chili in my crock pot to thicken so that I can refrigerate it, clean the crock pot and start something else. One of my fellow bloggers turned me on to a wonderful website http://www.crockpot365.com/ and now I must try every recipe she has. I have so far done 2 chicken recipes and now am about to take on a while-you-sleep breakfast thing. I can only imagine how impressed the family will be to wake up to a for real cooked breakfast that I made. Most days that I am in charge of breakfast, which are far and few between, the menu consists of cold cereal and milk. Eat it or go hungry. In an effort to be more Martha like, and lets not forget impressive, I am making another attempt at cooking with this crock pot business.

I have stated many times that I am no cook. I hate that. I really want to be like all those baptist women who make their own biscuits and bread from scratch and have 7-10 well behaved children dressed in clothes they have sewn by hand. Maybe I have misjudged my medication or maybe I am just more traditional than I once thought. I have always been a city girl. I am excellent at take out, but I just don't think you can be a legitimate stay at home mom if you can't cook. I am not one to do anything half way so when I decided that I would stay home barefoot and pregnant I was going to do it all the way. I don't think that the sewing should be revisited. I made some mediocre curtains one time and unless Vanessa is jazzed about 30 ways to wear a curtain then we should stick to clothes made in a sweat shop somewhere. Sad isn't it? I can picture all these minimum wage workers sewing tirelessly making these clothes that I buy. In my mind they just whip things through a machine and its beautiful. I went to college and can't make a decent throw pillow.

So cooking it is! Oh and just in case you are wondering, I ended up burning the breakfast thing. Brown eggs do not equal a tasty breakfast. I guess you really do have to keep an eye on the clock when you are cooking, even in a crock pot. I guess set it and forget it isn't quite the same as set it and go to sleep. I see the difference now. Well, I am not defeated. Tomorrow I will attempt yet another crock pot recipe, crock pot lasagna. I will be sure not to fall asleep, but I cannot promise that even under a watchful eye I will not burn it. Maybe one day I will get the hang of this domestic thing. Probably by the time all my kids move out and have their own kids. They will tell my grandchildren what a horrible cook I was and no one will believe them because I will make such a phenomenal crock pot lasagna. So there.

No comments: