Saturday, May 12, 2012

Brenda Joyce

My mom is not your average mom. She moved me half way around the world when I was only 5 and my brother was 4. I don't know many other moms who would have the guts to try and raise their kids away from all their family and friends. She has traveled the world and affected many people in her time. Sometimes people will tell me the impact my mom has had on their lives and I just look at them confused.

I don't know the prayer warrior and preacher they know. I don't know the counselor and the one with all the wise answers and encouragement. I know a different lady all together. Its really eye opening when you view your own mother through someone else's eyes. For those of you that know her and those that don't, this is what she looks like to me.

My mom is very persistent. She doesn't give up easily.....ever.  She can outlast and out argue you and if all else fails she will pray until she gets her way. And she usually does. Just ask my Dad.

My mom is silly. I remember her dancing me and my brother around and trying to show us all the "cool" dance moves she used to do. She loved to hold us and smother us with affection. She loved to sing silly songs and rhymes to us. She loved us being little.

My mom is sensitive. She is a huge bundle of nerves and emotions that at times I don't even think she understands. This life and the stress of this world is a heavy burden on her shoulders. Her mind is a mix of hope and worry all blended together. She struggles to feel needed and wishes for life to be easier.

My mom is smart. I am sure most people think their moms are smart, but this is noteworthy because mine can be a bit of a ditz sometimes. She forgets things on a regular basis and says things that make you shake your head in disbelief. But don't let that fool you. When she has a point and an opinion she can make the most convincing opponent. She studies and knows her stuff. She is a nerd from way back.

My mom and I have not had smooth sailing up to this point. We are so very different. It almost makes me think I am adopted. You only have to meet my Dad to disprove that. I hope my mom knows how much I love her and appreciate all the late nights, all the bodily fluid and grossness she was gracious enough to clean, all the meals prepared and laundry done. My kids still can't believe I didn't even clean my own room. So happy Mother's day to a mom who deserves it. Love you mom.

No comments: