Friday, April 20, 2012

Here come the judge

Hello my name is Judgy McJudgerpants. I am here to service all your judging needs. That would be helpful if anyone really wanted my services. It seems as though they don't though. Being of the opinion that things are mostly black and white serves my judging tendencies well. Unfortunately, the older I get the more and more the idea of a "gray area" becomes a reality. Its gotten more and more difficult to make those calls.

I get really tired of those that don't give a rat's behind about the Bible quoting it to defend their behavior. It seems that the only scripture they bothered to learn was the one about not judging. They have decided that all Christians are hypocrites if we call things as they are. If we say an action, idea or life style is wrong we are being judgemental and they are the first to try and call us out. If only they had read more than that one little verse they would see how God feels about what they are saying or doing, but that is not how you go about building an irrational emotionally charged argument.

The Bible also tells us to judge rightly. It even goes so far as to tell us we should kick people out of church if they don't repent and change their ways. You can do your own Bible study if you don't believe me. It certainly wouldn't hurt. The famous judgy verse is actually about condemning folks. Oh how I love the amplified Bible. Calling things what they are is a necessary part of any belief system. How do you know what you believe in if you can't tell me what is off limits? Doesn't every faith have rules?

The problem comes when the things that I was so sure about in my not too distant youth get challenged. Of course I would never kill anyone.........unless they hurt my child. A righteous anger comes out of me at just the thought. This had never crossed my mind until I had kids. I would never this or that and the list goes on. You just don't really know what you will do or are capable of until you are in the situation. Until its staring you right in they eyeballs you just don't know. So don't act like you do. I think that is what the Bible is saying. Don't set standards for others that you can't meet yourself. Don't be one of those hypocrites.

We have to work out of love and compassion even when we are face to face with wrong. Even when it is textbook straight up sin. That is where most of us fall short. What we say and how we say it is so far from loving that no one within ear shot would associate us with Christ. That's where most of us need work.

So judge, yes. Condemn and be hateful, no. It seems really simple, but its as complicated as engineering.......unless you are an engineer then its as complicated as fashion. Just kidding! So put down your picket signs. Save the hatemail and please don't end up on Jerry Springer saying you love Jesus. Jesus loves you. Me........well I'm working on it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOL "Judgy McJudgerpants", that's great! Totally agree here. The line of observation vs criticizing is where it gets all muddy. It's all in the attitude and delivery.