Thursday, September 23, 2010

Adventures in denim

I have never claimed to be fashion forward. My whole life has been consumed with cranial pursuits, none of which were concerned with cuts of jeans or hair or anything really that needs styling. It just isn't my thing. Its not that I don't want to look nice, but I think that somewhere my shopping endorphins dry up before the other girls. After about an hour of looking through, trying on, and looking through more clothes I am looking for and trying to find the door. I am spent and overwhelmed. I need to pee. I need to eat something and most of all I need to sit down. There is so much pressure.

My friend, in an attempt to help my failing fashion, took me somewhere I had never been before. Its called Nordstrom rack. Being an adventurous soul, I was ready to go. There were so many racks, so so many racks and I am not trying to make a bad pun here. I had no idea where to start. I nearly forgot why I was there, cool jeans. The jeans I am wearing are apparently not. The jeans you can buy conveniently at walmart while you are picking up some chicken and spackle are not good enough. Jeans that cost a mere 20 bucks will not do. You are not even trying.
Here at the rack there are so many brands of jeans.....none of the walmart variety. As hard as I look I cannot find a pair of normal 20 dollar jeans. I forget, I am on an adventure in denim. I need to look for cute pockets, different washes, lengths, cuts and most of all a hefty price tag. Seeing my dear in the headlights look, my fashionista friend just starts handing me jeans to try. These jeans aren't even the right size. Since when did I wear a 30 something. I mean I am used to double digit sizes, but come on! My friend kindly informs me that good jeans, expensive jeans, are sized differently. whoa. OK.
I take the jeans into the dressing room and realize they look used. I mean faded, holes, scrapes and tears. She cannot be serious. There is a camera in here somewhere and I am on tv. Look at that crazy lady buying messed up jeans. So I put on the messed up jeans and wait for someone to yell surprise. Instead I am greeting by squeals of delight from my friend. " Those are the coolest jeans ever! You HAVE to buy them!" she cries. Well I guess I have no choice then.
I arrive home with said cool jeans and attempt to model them for my husband. He also thinks they are cool. Who knew Dan the man had a handle on fashion? My 8 year old, in a rather predictable manner, says "why are your jeans broken?" I inform her that they are new and cool and she just doesn't know fashion to which she replies "I have tons of jeans with holes in them and you won't let me wear them." She sarcastically adds " Are they cool?" Touche.
At least my peer group will approve..... I think. Dan the man approves and that is half the battle when it comes to any purchase that isn't for him. At the end of the day I am happy with my cool jeans. I really am. I might even be getting a handle on this dressing yourself thing. Most definitely no more walmart jeans. I have seen the light. I will now at least spend 30 bucks on jeans. At least.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Funniest post yet...says said 'friend' (but mostly cuz said friend was there in real life, which makes it funnier)

If Only She Had Applied Herself said...

Jeans shopping at Nordstrom?? Can highlights and eye brow waxes be too far away? I think not! :-)